This is a quick look at the ferry dock as we left Port Angeles.
Port Angeles was officially established as the location of the US Custom House in 1861. In 1890 it was designated the "Second National City". (Washington DC was the first.) Most of the land was held as a military reserve until congress agreed to sale of lots in 1894 after pioneers began "jumping the Reserve" in 1890.
Today "P.A." is the largest town (about 20,000) on the Olympic peninsula and the tourist gateway to the Olympic Mountains - they're covered by cloud in this photo.